QUÉBEC, May 28, 2014 / CNW Telbec / – After having had the blur on the question of the sale of Hydro-Québec, the Liberal government finally listened to reason and has flip-flopped. The Prime Minister has indeed confirmed that there will be no sale of assets from the government.
“The questions we asked the Prime Minister forced to take a stand against the privatization of Hydro-Québec. After advocating government transparency, the Liberals seem rather to maintain indecision and confusion about issues important to Quebecers. We repeated this privatization was a bad idea. Hydro-Québec is a symbol of our economic nationalism. It is a source of enrichment, it is an engine of economic development for the regions, “said MP Marie-Victorin and spokesman of the official opposition in energy and natural resources, Bernard Drainville .
This political football has been launched following the publication of the Expert Report on the state of public finances in Quebec , produced by economists Luc Godbout and Claude Montmarquette proposing the privatization of the corporation as a solution budget. Since then, the Prime Minister had not closed the door on that possibility, even stating to submit the question to future commissions on taxation and program review.
“Asked yesterday about the possibility of selling some assets to Hydro-Québec, the President of the Treasury Board,Martin Coiteux , stated that everything was on the table. The Prime Minister was forced today to restore order, finally rejecting this bad proposal. We must constantly return to the charge for answers. Quebecers have the right to know what to expect and what are the plans for this government, “said the MP Marie-Victorin.