An official statement from the PNP, JTF Gensan, and the local government unit of General Santos City confirmed that the explosion that took place around 7:45 in the evening was caused by a grenade. The blast occurred in the Rizal Monument at the rear end of Plaza Heneral Santos. The monument is also about 30 meters away from the General Santos City Hall. As of now, there are no shrapnels or fragments found in the site. Investigation still continues as to the motives and culprits of the crime. Meanwhile, city Mayor Ronnel Rivera inspects the blast site at the Plaza Heneral Santos Tuesday evening, September 16. Mayor Rivera immediately visited the victims in St Elizabeth Hospital and General Santos City Hospital and assured he will handle the expenses of their treatment.
Hospital and City Social Welfare and Development Office records identified the victims as:
1. Sarah Arquiza, 18, of Barangay Labangal;
2. Christian Paul Amimong, 20, of Soriano Subdivision, Barangay City Heights;
3. Jay Ar Magnanao, 17, of Barangay City Heights;
4. Marlon Pasada, 23, of Panay, Sto. Nino, South Cotabato;
5. Joanne Michelle Abranilla, 10, of Lansones St, General Santos City;
6. James Ralph Abreo, 23, of Yumang St., General Santos City;
7. Andy Galapen;
8. Sheena Mae Maquinda.
Last September 19, 2014 around 3:30am, Jay Ar Magnanao, 17yo. residing at Barangay City Heights General Santos City has passed away digging for life battle to survive in Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at St. Elizabeth Hospital, while all the rest have been discharged, including those brought to General Santos City Hospital.